Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Regimiento de Infanteria "Sevilla"


I awoke to find a metaphorical proud Hidalgo tapping on my shoulder. "Señor, parece que ha omitido el regimiento de mi hermosa ciudad." "Aye carumba, Don Recuerdo, eso es verdad!"


I actually painted this unit over a month ago, but had inadvertently mixed up the facing colors (black) with that of the Military Orders regiment (dark blue). I only recognized the mistake after I reviewed the photos. That required removing the respective standard bearers from their bases, repainting the facings in the correct colors to their flags, and re gluing them into the correct unit. At least black to dark blue and vice versa is a pretty easy paint conversion!


The fine Brigade Games figures are once again Paul Hicks sculpts. Note the abbreviated bearskin on the Sapper. 


This unit looks like it means business!


A couple of pre swap pictures - note the trim on the slung blankets. 

Made sense to have the black facings go with the black background of the Military Order shields... just incorrect!


    Seville is an ancient city, dating back to the 89th Century BC. It was the only inland port of significance in Spain, and grew rich during the height of trade with Spain's vast possessions in the New World. Located in Adalucia, the city is a mix of cathedral and Moorish palaces, where Flamenco dancing lives on in clubs.  Definitely a Spanish city on my list to visit one day... just not in the middle of the summer!

    This brings the army to date to 12 units of infantry: 7 regiments of Line Infantry, 2 units of Militia, 2 units of light infantry, and one of Grenadiers. Planned additions are 3 more Line regiments (including one each Swiss and Irish), one more small Grenadier unit, 2 units of Dragoons, 2 units of  Line Cavalry, 1 unit of Garochista  Lancers, eventually a unit of Hussars and/or Cazadores a Caballo, 4 artillery batteries, and a contingent of Guerrillas, plus some commanders, 

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott; you're too kind! I've seen your own work, which is awesome!

      Delete
    2. Yep. Scott’s brushwork is awesome, for sure.

      Delete
    3. Well, you have me wanting to try my hand at some 28mm Spanish!

      Delete
    4. That's good, just give me about 6 months to finish mine so that I don't have to wail in despair at the comparison, Scott! :-)
      Seriously, the new figures from Brigade Games, Three Armies, and now Perry make it a good time to be building a Spanish Army.

      Delete
  2. Another fine Spanish battalion, Peter! I like the trim on the slung blankets. Hicks’ sculpts are, indeed, terrific but I see you have the same feature as I. That is, thin and bendy musket barrels. I was looking over Hicks’ French infantry in my Lead Pile and ended up straightening quite a few before moving on to another task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. Yes, the thin muskets are a minor drawback for wargames figures that will receive considerable handling. OTOH, I still have plenty of Minifigs in my armies, and they have the same issue!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful painting Peter. You are developing a terrific Spanish force.

    I have been to Sevillia several times, if you can only go to one city in Spain, I always say go to Sevillia. You will not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. It should top out at about 350 figures when it is done; maybe more if a I add a few units of Perrys at some point.
      Thanks for the advice on Sevilla; I really do have to go to Spain some day, especially as I can speak passable basic Spanish.

      Delete
  4. Great looking addition Peter, your collection is superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Phil. I need to add artillery and Cavalry... they will be forthcoming!

      Delete
  5. Great looking unit Peter. I really like the addition of the blankets. It really gives them a unique feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jake. Yes, it makes it impossible to mistake them for Saxons or something!

      Delete
  6. Lovely work, and I haven't seen Spanish line figures with the blankets before. They are very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence! Your own Spanish were a major inspiration to get this long delayed project moving!

      Delete
  7. Great looking unit, the slung blankets are an interesting feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. As noted, the slung blankets certainly are distinctive!

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking Spanish and I too like the slung blankets, I was working in Seville in the summer /autumn of 2016 it's a lovely city!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hanks Iain. That's 2 votes confirming what i had already figured, that Sevilla is a must visit location when I eventually make it to Spain!

      Delete